The Future of Cell Phone Voice Plans
Apple announced the upcoming release of iOS 10 at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. Since the iPhone’s debut in 2007, Apple continues to wow users with constant upgrades, improved te...
Apple announced the upcoming release of iOS 10 at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. Since the iPhone’s debut in 2007, Apple continues to wow users with constant upgrades, improved technology, and state of the art features. iOS 10 is available today in beta form to developers. Some of the new features are taking the mobile communication industry by storm and may eliminate the need for cell phone voice plans.
The most talked about feature since the announcement is the VOIP API. Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) is far from a new communication method. Up until this release, however, cell phones didn’t fully embrace its popularity and value.
- Displays third-party incoming calls on the screen just like their phone app. Previously users had to open an app to receive incoming calls or see they missed a call.
- Partnership with Cisco allows work VOIP calls to reach personal iPhones.
- Identifies and notifies users when incoming calls are spam.
This is great news for iPhone users. The new feature gives users more flexibility in which type of call technology to utilize.
Cell phone service providers
The announcement is bad news for cell phone service providers like Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon. The VOIP API feature marks the beginning of eliminating cell phone voice plans. The possibility is in the future but not there yet for a few reasons:
- Connections lack in some areas. Areas with limited or no data service, delay call connection or make it impossible. This specifically threatens 911 calls.
- Limited users. VOIP is popular among businesses, but use is still limited. Non-tech savvy and non-iPhone users won’t be quick to make the change, making existing carriers necessary.
- Limited app use. Companies aren’t equipped to offer contact information on all VOIP platforms and apps. Government agencies are slow to join new trends and technology.
Solutions to these roadblocks are somewhere in our future. Cell phone service providers need to be proactive to remain a necessity or at least relevant to users.
B2B organizations are once again gifted with the opportunity to minimize expenses on their mobile phone plans. More and more businesses are embracing and empowering remote employees. These businesses increasingly provide mobile phones to their remote workforce to communicate with each other and customers. The new VOIP API means businesses can promote flexibility while decreasing communication expenses.
Thirty years ago, cell phones entered the marketplace allowing users to make phone calls away from their desk and home. Cell phones evolved during that time and today are common communication devices utilized for calls, messaging, video chat, and e-mail.
Apple is maintaining its future in the marketplace with innovative technology and updates. iOS 10 offers users and businesses multiple benefits. Carriers need to take steps like Apple to remain relevant.